Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 24-26: Autumn

Grenoble, it is the flattest city in France, it is the hottest city in the summer and the coldest city in the winter in France. My toe-rings are telling me that it is high time that I wore a pair of shoes instead of my Birkenstocks. The temperature goes up during the day, and you see people in their no sleeves and short pants. It is a very comfortable climate, somewhat similar to that of Vancouver.

As we do not have an oven, my cooking is done only on the gas stove top. There is a vegetable-fruit shop called "Au Jardin de Provence" and they are open in the morning and again at 16h. I only buy things that I need for the dinner and some fruits. Fruits here taste just amazing. We were enjoying the white peaches and nectarines earlier, and now we are in prune heaven. Yesterday, I tried something called "prune reine-claude" for the first time. I could not skip buying them as the store clerk who was refilling the basket were snacking on them. I got to the cashier and asked, "Qu'est-ce que c'est?" and the person said, "Prune blah blah blah." I had him repeat maybe three times, and I said, "D'accord." They are delicious. Similar to plums but sweet! Well, thank you Mr. Google. Now I know its full name. Nice to meet you, Prune Reine Claude!

No comments: