Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 19-20: Getting Accustomed

Unless you are on campus, particularly in Ile Verte (the quarter where I live), it is very rare to see any Asians or anyone who does not speak French beside me. I go to a boulangerie called Maison Floran quite often, and they have started recognizing my face. It is a small and close neighbourhood, and it does not take long for one to be a regular. I also go to a cafe called Le 5 at Musée de Grenoble, where I have free WiFi (pronounced=we fee) access. The server now knows me and my order: un café noisette.

I am now also getting used to saying my name in French way, which is much similar to how it is pronounced in Japanese. I do not pronounce my name properly in English, or is it the American medial T, people would write down my name often with a D. I am also picking up more words and getting a gist of what people are saying. It will be a long way though, before I will be able to eavesdrop on the conversation on trams.

French classes are going well. I love grammar! Learning the rules and following the format, it is so beautiful. When I was teaching Japanese, I realized that many students who were in engineering, math or CS did really well in the introductory classes. They pick up the system and the formula quite easily. However, when the language starts involving more of the cultural and social aspects, arts student excel in understanding the concepts such as the honorifics. I wonder which one I will be as a French learner. I will let you know when I start saying "Ouais" instead of "Oui."

No comments: