Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dans la rue ou nous habitons

I love the area we live in in Grenoble. It is a quarter (or quartier) called Ile Verte, which is close to the city centre but is very quiet. The Isere river runs from east to west, and the city of Grenoble is located on the south side of this river. L'ile Verte is almost like a peninsula, surrounded three sides by the Isere. In this photo, you are looking at l'ile verte from the west side.

This is the view from our kitchen window. You can see a part of La Bastille on the mountain and a part of the Vercors in the middle. Most of the buildings on our street are regular houses or small apartments. Just like in Japan, properties here are marked by fences or shrubs, which makes it hard for me to have a peek inside.

Many houses have some kind of fruit bearing trees, and I am hoping to run into the owner one day, and ask if they actually eat them and ask if I could have a taste of one... This one is a fig tree, waiting to be ripen.

The one on the right is a persimmon tree. When it ripens, the fruit should be bright orange. I love persimmons... It reminds me of my childhood... There are many persimmon orchards in the city I grew up, and I admit that I have snacked on some without permissions with my good friends Yoko and Yukko!

And of course there are apple trees and pear trees, and the best is the prune tree, and I might have seen an olive tree.

The vegetation here is quite similar to what we have in Japan, and the aged buildings and streets also make me feel like I am walking in my neighbourhood in Odawara...

No comments: