Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 23: Manifestation! Gréve!

Hello from Häagen Dazs. It has been 7 business days since I opened the internet account with Bouygues. The ADSL device called B-Box is sitting in our bedroom connected to the wall. I decided that it was high time that I visited the Bouygues store once again and ask what was going on. I was told that I have to wait 10-15 days. It has always been like that apparently. Great!

My classes were canceled today due to the "manifestation" and "gréve." People are protesting and striking against government plans to overhaul the country's pension system. I heard that it is the largest protest of the year, so I decided to see this French spirit with my own eyes. I took the tram as far as it went (2 stops from ours), and walked toward the station where a big crowed appeared in front of me. It was pouring rain, but the air was warm. From young to old, kids to dogs, they were out there protesting in the rain. I guess this is my first protest I have ever seen in my life!

No comments: