Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 13: Internet, c'est indispensable!

Having limited internet at home is tough. Nathan and I purchased a USB internet modem called "Clé internet 3G+" from SFR for €69 (of which we will get €40 reimbursed). It came with 3H connection time, which we used up in a couple of days. I bought 8H connection time for €26. Using my very basic math skills, I counted 8H=480 minutes, but it is not really the case with SFR. After exhausting the 8H fairly quickly, I bought another 8H credit and I immediately checked my account. I had only 306 minutes left... Interesting.

Well, now I have the carte bancaire (bank card). It was last Thursday I opened the bank account, and I received a letter this Wednesday from the bank stating my card was ready for pickup. I was waiting for this moment, so that I can sign up for the internet!

There are three major internet providers: SFR, Orange, and Bouygues. Orange is the key brand of French Telecom, and it is more expensive compared to other two. We decided to go with a bundle with Bouygues, which gives us:

1) internet
2) TV
3) phone+free international calls
4) cell phone (2 hours outbound calling time, unlimited SMS, unlimited internet, mail, TV 3G)

for €50.80 altogether. This is a miraculous deal to me after paying so much money to Bell and Fido for a long time. It will take about 10 days for the internet to be set up, but I will at least have my cell phone to connect to the internet. This is exciting!

I do not have to taint my blood any more by coming to McDonald's to use the free internet. This is my third time and it will be my last. I will still go back to the French Coffee Shop though. It is a lovely spot to spend your afternoon.

No comments: