Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The mighty five

Today was my last day at L'école complementaire des japonais. I feel very content and relieved, but at the same time I am sad to leave my students. I never felt this way before in my seventeen years of teaching career. I do not remember how many times I scolded them and yelled at them, but they were just so sweet and fun to hang out with!

I taught five second graders who spoke Japanese as a second language. At the complementary school, which is partially funded by the Japanese government, the curriculum used is the one prepared for Japanese kids in Japan. So you can imagine it was not an easy chore to keep the students interested in learning, not to mention the material, as their exposure to the language is limited.

Luckily, my students and their parents were all enthusiastic about learning. Thanks to their effort, the class finished in the positive tone where students are all willing to continue onto the next grade (as the new school year begins in April). I hope I was able to give them joy in learning and in succeeding. Even though it may be a bit painful now, they will one day appreciate so much that their parents let them attend the complementary school. In fact, I have faith in all of them, that they have the strength and courage to keep on learning whatever may come.

As I am quite possessive, I am reluctant to let my students go to someone else. I wish I could teach them until they graduate from the elementary school. However, as we are leaving France this year, I now have to take up a position as their life-long supporter. Work hard, the mighty five, and I wish you all the best in your future. Always remember that what you do is for your own sake and be responsible for your act! I love you guys dearly even though I usually do not like kids :D. You touched the special part of my heart and you will be remembered.

No comments: