Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

In honour of Dad: March 23rd, 2012

Nathan and I were back in Japan to attend Dad's Sankaiki memorial (counting 3rd year/two full year) which was held on March 18th. It happened to be Grandma's 10th memorial, so I am sure she was quite happy to see lots of familiar faces as well.

Mom and Dad were paying visits to the family tombstone every 18th day of the month after Grandma passed away, and now Mom does so on the 23rd for Dad. It is all symbolic and ancestry worshipping may sound quite bizzarre to some. However, comparing to the daily visits when Grandma was in the hospital, and to the 24hour care that Mom, my brother, and Nathan and I provided for Dad by staying in the hospital room with him for one month and a half, once a month visit to the tombstone is nothing.

As Mom serves three cups of green tea to the family alter at home every morning, Nathan and I serve coffee to Dad every morning together with incense. On Dad's anniversary, I am reminded once again to dedicate my life to those who gave so much to me.

No comments: