Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Nos droits [On rights and entitlement]

So the grève (strike) is back again. It is for the same reason (the retirement age, benefit, etc.) as the one-day strike in September, but this one is continuous. Ever since President Sarkozy came into power, there is something called "service minimum" even during the strike. At first I thought it was exactly the same as the "essential service" but not quite. The service minimum guarantees that the companies or institutions have to offer their services at their minimum capability. So for example the trams are running, but not in its full capacity.

However, on October 7th, when I was trying to go home after my classes, there were no tram nor bus. The employees walked off the job that day at 9AM, following an incident that took place on the night of the 6th. When you get on the tram, you are supposed to validate your ticket or the pass, but even if you don't, you can still get on. So sometimes you run into "controllers" who ask to show your validated ticket/pass. Apparently, some group of youth who were caught by the controllers started the violence. The youth group thought they were discriminated for being asked to show their ticket, as the controllers do not necessarily ask everyone on the tram.

I feel that the demand for one's right is very strongly expressed in this country:
+Well, I am not against the strike that is happening now, but it is also true that many countries are facing the aging society and the pension problem. The argument such as "it is not fair that others only worked until 60 when I will have to work 7 years longer" is not so strong when your life expectancy is also longer than those predecessors. I am sure that there are many other reasons for the strike that I am not aware of, so I have no right to say anything.

++Well, It is sort of understandable why the trams and buses were canceled completely because of some violent passengers, but what about those who paid for the service? Isn't there a better system than having a random check which could trigger an issue of "why are you picking on me?" Why not having controllers always on the train and on the tram stop?

+++Well, I am okay with the grève. That's OK. Go for it. We live in a democratic society. I am okay that I had to walk 40 minutes from the university to home. That's OK. Go for it. We live in a democratic society. But those who acted violently after not paying the fare and claim they were discriminated? That's a bit odd, isn't it? AND most importantly (for me) people who do not wait to get on the tram while there are people getting off! Those who do not realize there is a long queue for the food stand! I don't think that is included in our rights, is it?

We need to read Thomas Hobbs again.

No comments: