Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Nos droits No. 2

I finished the second month of intensive French courses. I really enjoyed the second month at CUEF. We had two teachers who were quite different from each other. The female teacher we had was quite energetic and she focused a lot on our enunciation and articulation. The male teacher was super low key, but he focused on the topic I am interested in such as health, environment, etc. Of course the young-lings in class were quite bored with him, but we cannot always do exercises like "let's write a funny story with your neighbour and share with others." For November and December, a Brazilian classmate and I will be taking semi-private lessons with the above mentioned female teacher. I am on a mission by Thursday to be able to say "les yeux" properly.

The courses are costing quite a bit of money, but we really need it. For example, today, I had to go to Agences Départementales pour l'information sur le Logement. It is an association for tenants and landlords. You can probably guess what is going on.

Our current landlord is not happy that we are leaving only living here for three months. Here in France, for a furnished apartment, it is the right of the tenant to stay for minimum of 1 year, but the tenant also has the right to cancel the contract at any time with 1 month advance notice. We told our landlord in person of our move-out two weeks ago, and we sent him a written letter by registered mail. He has not received the letter (now waiting to be picked up at the post office), and the move-out notice comes into effect when he receives the letter. And the post office will keep the letter only for two weeks.

At the agency today, I was able to express what the problem was and to follow what the person was telling me. She said that our case is very "delicate" and we may have to go see "un huissier=a bailiff (gees, I do not know this word in English either)." I had to think to myself "Awesome, I just survived some gush of legal terms!" at the same time, "Wait, why do I have to do this!?!?"

I demand a bowl of ice-cream tonight.

No comments: