Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

右左右 (Right, left, right)

I grew up in a car loving family and driving is one of my favourite things to do. Navigating through narrow curvy roads in Japan where people communicate using signals (brief high beam=go ahead, a light tap on the horn=thanks, brief hazard lamp=thanks, raising hand=thanks, etc.) is never stressful except for being stuck in the traffic jam. Cruising Hwy 401 in Ontario to visit my family in Cobourg using the cruise control set at 120km/h is actually relaxing except for seeing some crazy drivers who never use their blinkers. Wherever I drive, my motto of driving has been " Try not to use the brakes." This makes you think two steps ahead on the road, makes you drive safer and better. It reduces the traffic jams too according to various researches.

So do I want a car in Grenoble?

It will require a lot of adjusting and modifying my driving techniques. One, get used to honking. If someone honks at you, honk them back. Two, park wherever you want to park. Double parking? Go for it. Are you on the tram track? Go for it. If you hit a person on the wheel chair who was trying to cross the road, run away!?!?!? Wait a minute. That is a crime!! I witnessed it happen today, and people around did not seem to think it was a big deal for some reason. I was the only one who approached him and asked if I should call the police or not. I could not do much other than moving off the road, and I am regretting not remembering the license plate.

So do I want a car in Grenoble?

Maybe a Hummer.


No comments: