Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rations

Every winter, my mom and dad would send us a box of food from Japan around this time of the year. However, it was a big surprise to receive it this morning, as my mom had just sent it a week ago. In Japan there is a service called SAL (surface air lifted), which is much cheaper than shipping by air but much faster than by surface. When we were in Ontario, I would wait around three weeks to receive the box, which gets transported by train from Vancouver.

I do not cook much Japanese food as buying ingredients for it was ridiculously expensive in Ontario. So "the flavour of Japan" in our households solely depends on this box. We usually get soba, udon, and mochi. This time, as I complained how expensive the soya sauce was at a nearby Carrefour, my mom also sent me two bottles of it. And of course, more than enough amount of anko and yokan, Nathan's favourite. The supply lasts for quite a long time, as I am so stingy.

Nathan and I are both happy eaters, and we love to eat what is in the season and most importantly what is available in the area. Our new gas stove and gas oven!! is serving us great. My quiche (lardon, spinach, cauliflower, and brebis---sheep milk cheese) turned out great, and so did Shepherd's Pie---or I should start calling it Hachis parmentier.

No comments: