Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Moving to France


It is now official that Nathan and I will be moving to France for two years. I must be a descendent of nomads, or this zesty feeling I have about our move cannot be explained. Basho Matsuo, a poet in the 17th century, wrote in the introduction of his travel journal:
Days and months are travellers of eternity. So are the years that pass by. Those who steer a boat across the sea, or drive a horse over the earth till they succumb to the weight of years, spend every minute of their lives travelling. There are a great number of ancients, too, who died on the road. I myself have been tempted for a long time by the cloud-moving wind--filled with a strong desire to wander.
After living in Waterloo for five years, it is somewhat sentimental that I have to leave things I grew fond of behind. I will miss the fresh vegetables from the region, miss great friends I met, and I will miss things that I now take for granted. Yet, it is time that we move on. Let me interpret "A rolling stone gathers no moss" with a positive attitude.




No comments: