Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

I love chocolate

We are already halfway into April, and I do not even know what happened to the month before. All I remember is that I was busy buying souvenirs to bring to Japan while panicking myself by signing up for two French exams (DELF A1 and B1) to take in May, that I was sitting in front of the TV in Japan and complaining why people are stuck to the ideas of the nation-state, and I remember vaguely that I agreed to teach at the Japanese complementary school in Grenoble starting in April...

April is a good month in France. It is a month of chocolate, so no complaints from my side. Chocolatiers are busy getting ready for Easter, and you find chocolate in various shapes: eggs, bunnies, chickens, chicks, and FISH!
Some say it is for "Poisson d'avril (April Fool's Day)," and some say it is for Easter. Basically, it doesn't matter. Inside the fish, you find lots of tiny fish (chocolate, bien sûr) or sometimes pralines. Viewed from the street, those chocolate sardines are pretty grotesque.

Thanks to the overdose of chocolate, I am now well recuperated from our trip to Japan. Nathan and I attended my Dad's 1st anniversary. It feels strange to realize that he has not existed in this world for a year. The letter he sent to us in December 2009 has a much deeper meaning now. I miss his humours and I miss my parents' imbecile quarrels.

No comments: