Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Return of FLE

I am back to FLE (Français Langue Étrangère) courses again. In fact, this time it is obligatory that I take 105 hours of classes and pass an exam called DELF A1 (Diplômes d'études en langue française) in order to renew my Carte de Sejour. The courses are provided for free by the government and offered by Alliance française in Grenoble.

Back in November, when Nathan and I went to the OFII (Office Français de l'immigration et l'integration), I was asked if I spoke French. Of course I said Non, and I was sent to write an assessment test at IFRA which determined the number of hours of obligatory French courses, either 240 hours or 105 hours. Now I look back, the test was not to examine one's French ability but one's literacy. So those who can write Roman alphabets and connect the pictures to the letters are in the same class, all in one. My teachers told me that I could possibly switch to a higher level class offered for those who have completed the initial exam, but my contract with the government did not allow me to do so due to the scheduling which affects the number of hours I need to complete.

So I am doing my own thing in the class: participant observation. I am entertaining myself being a former language teacher learning a language, and observing the fellow students making progress and the fellow teacher facilitating the class full of eager beavers! One great thing in this class is that everyone is willing to learn as it is strictly related to our survival. I cannot be a hare falling asleep, or they will soon catch up with me.

No comments: