Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lyon (Oct 30-Nov 1): Visits

The city centre of Lyon is on a peninsula, in between two rivers Saône and Rhône. Our hotel was conveniently located on the west of Rhone, it only took 10 minutes or so to get to the city centre. Despite the rainy weather, we walked everywhere on Sunday, as we found out dogs are not welcomed on the metro. The district Le Croix Rousse was on the top of a small hill. To get there, we took Montée de la Grande Côte, a long stairway. Unfortunately this was the last picture I took before the rain, before Chana turned into a wet mop.

Monday, la fête de la Toussaits, turned out to be a beautiful day. We crossed Rhône, passed the city centre, and crossed Saône to entre Vieux Lyon. The building in the far back, is Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière. We were going to take a cable car to get there, but again dog was not welcomed. So our morning hike began!

I did not grow up with Asterix, so I cannot explain who the Gaul is and what the main plot is. Well, I guess I need to read the comic as well as review my world history textbook before I visit any other cities in Europe! Lyon was founded as a Roman colony in 43BC. Hence, our visits included "Amphythéâtre Romain" in Fourvière. In the summer time, this Amphythéâtre is used for music concerts. I wonder if anyone would come wearing a toga or not. On the day before in the city centre, we also found "Amphythéâtre des Trois-Gaules," where the first Christian Martyrs were executed. Hmmm. Bloody.

After half a day of walking up and down the stairways, walking through traboules, Chana was more than happy to have a little break at a boulangerie, where Nathan and I enjoyed a awfully pink praline brioche. It was delicious!

No comments: